The Good Garage Scheme was formed because of the need for effective self-regulation of independent workshops and MOT centres. Motorists can use the website www.goodgaragescheme.com to find a trustworthy garage in their area to service, repair or carry out an MOT.
The initiative has gone from strength to strength, with member garages carrying out on average 67,666 services a month, generating over 6,000 feedbacks from consumers per month – allowing the garages a valuable insight into their performance as seen through the eyes of the customer. The Good Garage Scheme takes a strong line with its members and has removed over 900 garages from the scheme.
What guarantees do you have? Help is at hand if you feel you need further explanation of what went on during your car’s service and we have a formal complaints procedure if you feel things need to be taken further.
The Good Garage Scheme monitors customer feedback and receives as many as 6,000 plus customer feedbacks per month. These provide extremely valuable testimonials from customers as well as highlighting any concerns they have which we would take up directly with the garages involved. The feedbacks are posted on the Good Garage Scheme website to help motorists choose a suitable member garage.
Garages that join the scheme
– Adhere to a strict Code of Conduct and pledge to have their customers’ best interests at heart
– Must agree what work needs doing with their customers before it is carried out
– Work to an Industry Standard Checklist
– Must supply each customer with a feedback card allowing them to give their views on service directly to the Good Garage Scheme, which operates a stringent complaints procedure
– Are subject to regular mystery shopper-style audits and face expulsion if they break the Code of Conduct
The RAC provides motor-related services to both consumers and businesses, offering vehicle and breakdown services through a nationwide, strongly-branded patrol force.
In addition, the RAC provides motor insurance broking services and offers a suite of legal and motor claims services, which provide both individual members and business customers with legal cover and advice as well as a range of claims management services. The RAC online shop, approved garage and dealer networks and RAC Cars used car buying website have been developed to further build our ability to be the motorist’s champion.
The RAC Approved Garage service consists of a national network of independent garages that work in line with our customer charter giving customers honest pricing, quality work and exceptional customer service.
Who makes the Grade?
We’re not afraid to fail those who do not make the grade. Due to the high demands of the assessment, not all businesses that apply get through the assessment process. Only those who meet our high standards are credited with Which? Trusted trader status.
Why use Which? Trusted Traders?
Which? Trusted Traders is an endorsement scheme that recognises reputable traders who successfully pass our rigorous assessment process. Not just anyone can become endorsed. The assessment process involves:
- Credit Check: A preliminary credit check to validate the financial health and stability of a sole trader / business.
- References: Customer reference checks, chosen at random by a member of the Which? Trusted Traders endorsement team to ensure a breadth of consumers are consulted.
- Business Procedures: A thorough examination of business and administrative procedures.
- Interview and Assessment: They are visited in person by a Which? Trusted Traders assessor and interviewed.
- Code of Conduct: The sole trader/business signing up to the scheme agrees to abide by the code of conduct and our terms and conditions.
- Endorsed Trader: The trader can now tell their customers that they have passed our assessment process and are an endorsed Which? Trusted trader.
Service and Repair Code
The Service and Repair Code commits garages to an open, transparent and fair method of business, aiming to maintain consistently high standards across the industry.
By subscribing to the Code, a garage is demonstrating its commitment to operate as a responsible business and deliver high levels of customer satisfaction.
In November 2011, the Service and Repair Code was awarded full Office of Fair Trading approval and now operates as a Trading Standards Institute approved code, giving you the confidence that, with a Motor Codes garage, you can be sure to receive professional, reliable service.
Please use our Garage Finder to seek out your local Motor Codes garage and, when you’ve used a Motor Codes garage, please leave feedback here for all to see.
Motoring businesses that meet FOXY lady approved female friendly standards
Looking for a female friendly car dealer or garage to trust?
FOXY is an award-winning membership club providing a range of insurance, affinity car buying schemes and motoring services for women who like a good deal. Run on a ‘not for profit’ basis, it’s funded by a network of FOXY Lady Approved garages, car dealers and tyre centres.